Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, airports, harbors, buildings and ensure that the houses live in are structurally sound as well as improving the lives of people. By continuously developing infrastructures and upgrading the services and facilities to the public, with a sense of responsibility towards humanity for well being of the society. Hence Civil Engineers are backbone and an integral part of society, without them a society could not function. Civil Engineering is s a very diverse profession and offers a wide range of activities across a variety of disciplines such as Surveying, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transport Engineering Remote Sensing & GIS Applications and Hydraulic Engineering etc . Civil engineering focuses on the application of physical and scientific principles for solving the problems of society, and its history is intricately linked to knowledge of structures, materials science, geography, geology, soil mechanics, hydrology and advance in understanding of physics and mathematics.
The typical Civil Engineers do the following
- Analyze the long range plans, survey reports, maps, other data to plan and design projects
- Consider construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, other factors during the planning and risk-analysis stages of a project
- Compile and submit, permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies, verifying that projects comply with various regulations
- Oversee and analyze the results of soil testing to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations
- Analyze the results of tests on building materials, such as concrete, wood, asphalt, or steel, for use in particular projects
- Prepare the cost estimates for materials, equipment, labour to determine a project’s economic feasibility
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures in line with industry and government standards
- Perform surveying operations to establish building locations, site layouts, reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction
- Manage the repair, maintenance, and replacement of public and private infrastructure
Civil Engineers can work in wide range of fields in any of the following categories
- In Government for Engineering services, construction, operation and maintenance of Roads, Buildings, Dams, Bridges, Town Planning, Surveying, Remote sensing, Power generation corporations like, NTPC, NHPC, Wind power and Charted Engineers etc
- In PSU`s like Public Works Department, Highways, Water, Environmental and Pollution Control Boards, Railways, Airport Authorities of India, ONGC and Petroleum Corporations, Banking Sector etc.
- In Core Sectors like Construction & Steel Industries, Oil and Gas Industries etc
- In private sectors as Business Development Associates, Content Development Manager, Financial Advisor , Consultant, Steel Detailer and Construction Industries etc.
- It also provide the opportunities and eligibility to write UPSC – IES (Indian Engineering Services)
The department offers the following courses
|4 Year Under graduate Programme
|B.E – Civil Engineering
Civil engineers should have the following important qualities than other engineers such as decision making skills, leadership skills, mathematical skills, organizational behavior skills, problem-solving skills, speaking and writing skills.
The Department of Civil Engineering started in the year 2010.
Department of CIVIL Engineering has young, Dynamic, and qualified team of Teaching faculty and Non-teaching faculty members and equipped with state of art facility in all the laboratories. The department continuously growing in terms of academic, placements, co curricular and extra curricular activities, projects and consultancy activities. Many of our students involve in developing the solutions for real time industrial problems and participate in national level and international level competitions and brought laurel to the department.